The Institute was founded in 1936, based on an idea by the Chamber of Commerce and the University of Perugia, but the Institute's incorporation practices were completed only in 1939, when the Ministry of the Interior approved the Statute of the then " Experimental Zooprofilattica station "of Umbria.
Starting in 1946, several Provinces of the Marche joined the initiative: Pesaro in 1946, Ancona in 1948 and Macerata in 1956, while Ascoli Piceno had meanwhile joined the constitution of the Experimental Zooprophylactic Institute of Teramo.
With the law of June 23, 1970, n. 503 the Experimental Zooprophylactic Station of Umbria is transformed into an Experimental Zooprophylactic Institute of Umbria and the Marches, acquiring in its jurisdiction the territory of the province of Ascoli Piceno. In particular, the Experimental Zooprophylactic Institute of Umbria and the Marches was the first to see the enactment of regional laws implementing this legislative decree (LR of Umbria 19 February 1997, No. 5 and LR of Marches 3 March 1997, No. 20) and that it has formalized the appointments of the new Board of Directors - composed of two representatives of each Region and one of the Ministry of Health - and of the General Manager.